The Art of Photography

Friday 8 April 2011

Colour Strength

Beginning the new module on colour has created a number of problems for me. I have taken the photos for the first two exercises but have had computer and printer issues to try and resolve.
My fancy laptop with the great monitor that comes with a built in calibrator has been giving me bizarre colours. My printer is clearly confused and adds its bit to the melange. Having spent yet another fortune on getting someone to fix it has confused it even more.
I've had my computer screen replaced twice, graphics card replaced, printer replaced. Still things are not working as they should be. After the last 'expert visit' of 5 hours, I have decided I need to become an expert myself.
I am hoping I'll learn a bit more through this course. I am going back to d o the Epson course again.
I have found a great website:
http://www.gballard.net/psd.html
He has a great image you can download to make sure your colour settings are ok. Plus lots of useful information.
I have a couple of new books to help me understand colour. Wow there is so much to learn.
Colour by Victoria Finlay. About her discovery of the origins of colour and the countries they originate from.
Colour by Edith Anderson Feisner. This one is all about the theory of colour. Expands on the notes that I downloaded from the OCA site.

Finally my first exercise of a green door looks like green to get me started.
The images below are listed in order of the correct exposure, then 1/3 stop under exposed, 2/3 underexposed. Followed by 1/3 over exposed and 2/3 over exposed.

What we see from this is that exposure can change the colour. Underexposing darkening a colour and over exposing lightening a colour. This is useful to understand as there will be occasions when you want to deliberately manipulate an image in this way. Taking a photo of a sunset comes to mind. Under exposing to get the most out of the red of the sky and forgoing detail in the rest of the image.








No comments:

Post a Comment