The Art of Photography

Friday 8 October 2010

Panning


Took me awhile to get the hang of this. I found it easier to hold the camera rather than have it set up on a tripod. I also found that if you place your feet where you want to end up then twist your body to the start it makes following through easier and keeps the picture straight.
The collage above have shutter speeds 1/30 - 1/20 - 1/15 (reading left to right).

Below is another image taken at 1/50th.


Comparing images from the shutter speed exercise and this one I like the images at the slower shutter speeds.  They give a greater sense of speed. The blurriness seems less important in telling the story of my cyclist speeding up and down the street.

Of the two techiniques I think panning gives a greater sense of speed. The blurred background really gives the sense of whizzing by.

If I was photographing the Tour de France I might like to show it with two photos. One blurred to stress the speed they ride at and another to identify the rider.  However this second one could  be a portrait.

No comments:

Post a Comment