The Art of Photography

Friday 14 January 2011

Assignment One - Contrasts

Black and White

When I thought about black and white as a contrast in a single image, there is the obvious of making the image black and white. Taking a picture of something that is already black and white. I then thought of the statement..'it is there in black and white'.  The authority given to the written word as opposed to the spoken word.  I felt photographing a dictionary included all of these contrasts.


Moving / Still



I used my newly practised panning techniques from the early exercises to create the picture of the penny farthing. I was rather pleased with this shot.
By contrast I have also attempted to show that it is not the speed of the vehicle that determines movement and so chose a usually powerful vehicle stuck in snow. it's not moving anywhere.


Heavy / Light


Trying to show heavy visually took me awhile to achieve.  A picture of something heavy doesn't necessarily make you see heavy.  It took me a couple of weeks to come up with the idea for this photo. Sitting at the airport looking for my lost luggage and seeing people struggle with their bags especially over sized bags. Of course. We can all identify with a heavy suitcase. Hauling a bag up stairs will really emphasis how heavy it is.
By contrast I've used a photo I took at the Xmas markets of these very delicate glass baubles.  So light and delicate you are afraid of breaking them.


Liquid / Solid


Like a duck in water so the saying goes. The splashing of these ducks fighting had you ducking from the spray. When the water is frozen solid, these otherwise graceful swans were ungainly, sliding across the ice.

Many / Few



One day passing through Hyde Park I saw dozens of geese in the field. I'd never seen so many geese. For the contrast of few I decided to have one bird in focus and another faded out in the distance. Few is more than one but I wanted to give a sense of fading away from the many.

Hard / Soft


It was the fluffy tail of the squirrel that caught my eye this afternoon. It was bushier than usual and with the sunlight catching it, you just wanted to rub your face in it. Hard took some thinking. I wanted to portray this contrast with another animal.  Eventually I recalled pictures I had taken at the zoo of the tortoise enclosure. This one I think works.


Light / Dark


This contrast came almost by accident. I was photographing street scenes near Trafalgar Square when I saw how the sun had created a rainbow in the fountain water. The light was magic. I knew immediately this would be my light contrast photo. Thinking about dark in a way that would truly contrast this light initially seemed difficult as I had visions of dark as almost scary in my mind. That lead me to a picture I had taken on a ghost walk on Halloween. It was a wet evening. My intent was to take a picture that reflected something sinister about the street.


Straight / Curved


I've chosen two sculptures for this set of contrasts. For my choice of straight, I felt the environment of office blocks in the background emphasises the straightness. Choosing a body in water I feel accentuates the sense of curves.


Small / Big

Road work machinery gives a sense of big just by looking at it. I focused on the wheel to stress the size of the machine.  The contrast of a small trolley wheel in a bright red and upside down adds to the sense of smallness compared to the wheel below on the road work machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment